It’s quite strange to work on the sound of this video because the situation in Syria distrub me a lot and every day I’m thinking about their suffering. So I tried to let my feelings aside and play my part as technician. It was a bit special… Maybe you’ve been already in this situation, where you worked on something that touched you?
If I choose this video it’s because of the sound of the rocket that impressed me a lot when I’ve watched it for the first time. It remember me the sound of Battlefield 3 where the sound of explosions are destructed, saturated. So I’ve downloaded the video, import the audio in Nuendo. I’m working since two weeks on Nuendo, I’m discovering the advantages and disadvantages which is a bit difficult after several years on Protools.
I have also use the Komplete from Native Instrument with only the effects functions on FM8, Absynth5, Guitar Rig and Kore Player + noise supressor Izotope RX 2 + defaults plugs of Nuendo (Chopper, SynthBass, EQ, comp…)
I start without any wanted results. I wanted first to make it exportable, then transform it to be a little more unreal, then try experimentions on it.
- Edit the end of the second explosion to put on the first explosion (remove the voice : لله أَكْبَ)
- Try to make some decrackling with the RX 2 Decrackler (thanks Charles Deenen for this ideas that I read in and interview of you)
- Put differents decrackled sounds into the SynthBass of Nuendo to put more bass. I didn’t managed to do what I wanted. I would like to try with the Lowender plug from Refuse.
- I’ve also try differents effects like the KorePlayer, Absynth5, FM8 and Guitar Rig. Sometimes combined.
- I use at the end the Chopper who is a Volume sync with LFO on a sound proccesed by the KorePlayer.
- Final editing with two sounds processed.
I regret to didn’t edited the original sound better. It was quite difficult to clean; breathing, sounds of movements of the camera, voice, breath …